The second recipe from our day of gourmet crumpet cooking with Zena from Love Norwich Food, was a variation on Hor Mok, using our Ginger Crumpets as the base. In South-East Asian cuisine, 'hor mok' refers to the process of steam cooking a curry in banana leaves, but if you don't have the leaves you can still create a wonderful steamed dish by using cling film instead.
These Thai steamed Salmon pots were a delicious taste of Thailand and coupled beautifully with our Ginger crumpets; the flavours work really well together, and the steamed technique used makes the crumpets go wonderfully moist and pudding like. Absolutely scrumptious!
2 Ginger crumpets
for the sauce
1 tablespoon Red curry paste
300g Coconut milk
200g Salmon – finely diced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons fish sauce
for the garnish – (optional)
8 – 12 Thai basil leaves or coriander
2 – 3 Kaffir lime leaves – fine strips
1/6 Red pepper – very finely stripped
1. Preheat the oven to 100 degrees (or set it to 'steam' if you have that setting).
2. In a large bowl add the red curry paste, coconut milk and the diced salmon – mash and beat the ingredients together with a whisk, (a whisk will break up the fish a little while mixing the paste well in to the coconut milk – The Thai street vendors do this process for several minutes.)
3. Then whisk in the sugar and egg followed by the fish sauce.
4. Place the crumpets in separate oven proof dishes and spoon the sauce evenly on top. Make sure the dishes are small enough for a personal portion, and with sides to keep the sauce contained.
5. Lay shredded kaffir lime leaves and the red pepper on top of each crumpet pot.
6. Cover with cling film – to stop the steam getting out.
7. Steam in the oven for 20 minutes until just firm.
8. Remove from oven, take off the cling film/ unwrap the leaves, add any garnishes, and serve.
Check out our Instagram feed for a few extra videos of the process
And to Adam Withey for his brilliant food photography skills.
Pick up some of our Ginger Crumpets and create your own Thai curry showstopper!