Deep Fried Crumpet Butties - Love Norwich Food X Crumpetorium
Ok... now it's time to get REALLY indulgent... These stuffed and deep fried crumpets are so so naughty but so so worth it! It's such a satisfying 'crunch' as you cut through the crispy batter to reveal the soft puddingy crumpet and all its oozy fillings within... You could choose any of our sweet crumpets for this, and stuff them with your favourite fillings. Things that work well are ice cream, summer berries, jams and sweet spreads. If you are stuffing them with ice cream (for a baked Alaska style) we'd recommend choosing a really good quality ice cream as it will hold its form in the centre better than a cheap one which may melt and disappear too fast. We went for a Chocolate Orange crumpet stuffed with Lotus Biscoff spread which took us to all kinds of taste bud heaven!
For the beer batter
4 tablespoons plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon caster sugar
2 teaspoons any vinegar (I used sherry)
Local Norfolk Ale – to mix
For the Crumpets
Your stuffing of choice (we went for Lotus Biscuit spread)
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients together along with the vinegar.
2. Slowly add in the ale, whisking to form a smooth batter – add enough until you get to the consistency of lightly whipped double cream – thick enough to coat.
3. Preheat a fryer to 180*c.
4. Make shallow cuts in the top of the crumpet in a 'cross' shape, so that you can peel it back enough to stuff your fillings inside and fold the flaps down again.
4. Dip the stuffed crumpet in the batter and coat well.
5. Shake off any excess and gently lower into the hot oil. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
6. Coat the outside of the crispy batter in some sugar and spices of choice - we tossed ours in:
2 parts lotus biscuit crumbs
1 part caster sugar
pinch of cinnamon
7. Serve up hot, either alone or accompanied by cream or ice cream.
Check out our Instagram feed for a few extra videos of the process
And to Adam Withey for his brilliant food photography skills.
Pick up some of our sweet crumpets and get inventive with your own crumpet creation!