Flambé Banana Crumpets with Nelsons Gold Vodka - Love Norwich Food X Crumpetorium
Yum. Yum. YUM!
Things are getting sweet now with the first of our dessert crumpet recipes from our day of gourmet crumpet cooking with Zena from Love Norwich Food. This was definitely one where the showmanship of it being made was just as good as how it tasted! The smell of sizzling caramel, frying bananas and giant balls of flame got all the senses going even before we popped it in our mouths, at which stage you can't help but let the biggest smile spread across your face.
Our Chocolate Chip crumpets were the perfect base for this (everyone knows chocolate and banana are a winning combo), and they go lovely and puddingy in the toffee sauce. The addition of Norfolk's own 'Nelson's Gold Toffee Vodka' was a stroke of genius from Zena; it smelt delicious and would definitely be a great ingredient for an Espresso Martini too!
(serves 1 as a large dessert or could be split to 2 smaller ones)
½ tablespoon cold pressed local Yare Valley Norfolk rapeseed oil
1 banana – thickly sliced
40g butter – diced
40g caster sugar / brown sugar
A shot or more of Nelsons Gold or Rum 40-50ml
Matches or a lighter
1. Heat up the oil in a frying pan
2. Add the banana slices and colour a little on each side.
3. Add the butter and allow to melt, don’t let it burn.
4. Add the sugar – mix with a wooden spoon to form a nice caramel sauce.
5. Add the crumpets cooking for half a minute on each side
6. Add the alcohol and use a match to set aflame.
7. Once the flame has burnt out, build up your plate and serve.
Check out our Instagram feed for a few extra videos of the process
And to Adam Withey for his brilliant food photography skills.
Pick up some of our Chocolate Chip crumpets and create your own showstopping dessert!